Sunday 20 May 2007

Busy doing nothing

It's Sunday, the sun is shining, so although I should be studying I'm going to potter around in my garden. I've promised a friend some lily of the valley for their garden, so that will be my first job, then I'm going to plant some lettuce and peppers that my dad has given me. My dad supplies us with tomato plants every year and it's my husband's responsibility to grow them and mow the lawn, I look after the flowers and shrubs and weed the beds. I don't know if I've got the better deal, the weeding seems to take a lot longer than the mowing! My dad tries to get us to grow runner beans, but I've told him I'll just come and pick his when they are ready. It's not easy maintaining a vegetable plot when you are working full time, so we stick to simple things that don't need much attention, but when we retire we'll expand, perhaps?

1 comment:

Kate said...

My garden at home is loking very verdant and pretty at this my favourite time of year. The Dove garden is looking lovely too. I love the new life that appears each day and the different hues of green (or even Hughies of Green.....) which cover the branches - light, dark and silvery greens cover the countryside. even the mountains look green after the long grey winter months. The allotment continues to develop and change - I see there are sticks for the beans to climb in one of the raised beds and little beans winding their way round reaching for the sun!